Sunday 7 August 2011

Our Trip to the Roald Dahl Museum


We were looking for something different to do today, (Sunday 7th August) and originally were going to the Lollibop Festival at Regents Park but I begrudged paying the entry fee for the three of us!!  So one of my bestest friends suggested The Roald Dahl Museum in Buckinghamshire.  And what a lovely pleasant day out we had!

Me, my son and Dean jumped in the car for the hour and a half journey not knowing what to expect.  When we got there, the museum was set in a quaint little village that I instantly fell in love with, surrounded by quirky, vintage shops like a scene out of Postman Pat!!
  Entry prices were very cheap, £!6 for all three of us.  Walking round the museum, there was so much to do and see, all the while learning about the life of this fabulous author.


There was dressing up, craft activities, story and word activities and interactive things to do so much fun was had by adults and kids alike.


Here, children were given a mini book to use around the museum and one of the activities involved stamping characters from Roald Dahls novels, as illustrated by Quentin Blake.  I enjoyed this part, being the big kid that I am!


Our son Jacob loved making up his own words using the equipment here, and really got stuck in whilst I made time to read all the wall pieces and watch some videos.


Magnetic words on the wall encouraged children to make their own silly sentences and got them excited about words without them realising.  Jacob loves to read books of his own accord which I am so proud of, being a huge book lover myself and to see his little face light up with the silly things he came up with was hilarious.

Caught in the act!!  Dean taking his montage very seriously proving that the museum is not just for kids!!

One of the reasons I was dying to come here, apart from being a big Roald Dahl fan, was to be inspired and pick up some ideas for my writing.  There was a lot of quotes and ideas around the museum from the man himself as well as other famous authors to get my writing juices flowing and I was very impressed with the museum pieces to portray how Roald Dahl wrote and what inspired him. 


Then there was the craft room, full of activities to colour, paint, glue and stick your ideas onto paper all based on Roald Dahls novels.  Again, I got overexcited about this and started gluing sequins like some possessive child!!  Jacob had fun cutting out this crocodile and colouring it in, and all round the room were other childrens works of art to inspire us.



My favourite Roald Dahl book is The Witches but my second is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and there were some Wonka inspired items around including this fake chocolate wall!! 

And the Wonka inspired gates, where I stood quoting from the book!! "No one ever goes in, and no one ever comes out!"

My love for books gets out of hand as I want to take these giant book versions home with me!!

And, of course at the end of it all, the best bit arrives, The Souvenir Shop!!  My favourite part!!  And look what goodies I took home with me because I had been so good!!

Soooo exciting!!

So overall, a marvellous day out, and I highly recommend visiting this place on a Sunday afternoon, it didnt take long for us to go round the museum but there was plenty to do along the way and depending on where you live to get there, it doesnt have to be a whole day out, just something to keep the kids entertained for the afternoon.  And of course, if your a huge fan of books or Roald Dahl himself, this is a must for all adults who will at some point relate to anything the man has created, whether its through words, film or where he grew up.
Now Im off to check my Wonka bar for that golden ticket..............................



No comments:

Post a Comment